Nourishing the New Mother: Ayurvedic Postnatal Care Practices
As a parent, the arrival of a newborn is a beautiful and transformative experience that inspires you to seek the best ways to care for your precious bundle of joy. When you’re looking for natural ways to care for your little one, essential oils can be a gentle addition to their well-being.
Essential oils are plant extracts known for their aromatic and therapeutic properties. Some of these oils offer soothing and calming benefits, while some have antiviral or anti-inflammatory properties that can be helpful in preventing infections.
While essential oils can offer several benefits, it’s important to learn how to dilute these oils and understand each oil’s specific benefits and precautions to ensure your baby’s safety and well-being.
Here, we have described a few essential oils that are safe and beneficial for babies, along with how to approach their usage responsibly.
- Some essential oils offer calming, soothing, and health benefits for newborns
- Proper dilution and responsible use are crucial for newborn baby skin sensitivity
- Understanding each oil’s specific benefits and precautions ensures the baby’s safety
6 Safe Essential Oils for Newborns
Chamomile oil, extracted from chamomile flowers, has been popularly known for centuries for its calming properties. This gentle oil can be used in various ways and has numerous advantages, making it the parents’ favorite choice and a perfect addition to your baby’s skincare routine.
Some of the benefits of chamomile oil for newborns are:
- It helps in soothing irritated and inflamed skin, commonly caused due to skin conditions in babies such as diaper rash and eczema. Baby Forest’s Dulaar Pyar Talc-Free Baby Powder is enriched with the goodness of chamomile oil that calms, heals, and moisturizes a baby’s gentle skin.
- It promotes relaxation, which is essential for a newborn adjusting to life outside the womb. A gentle massage using diluted chamomile oil can help calm your baby, promote sleep, and reduce anxiety.
- It has the potential to relieve colic and the fussiness and discomfort associated with it. Gently massaging your baby’s abdomen with diluted chamomile oil may help reduce some of the symptoms and provide comfort to your newborn.
- It also has calming properties. Baby Forest’s Sampoorna Snan Baby Body Wash is a gentle formula infused with the calming and nourishing benefits of chamomile oil.
Lemongrass oil is derived from the leaves and stalks of the lemongrass plant, which has been recognized for its numerous health benefits since ancient times. It can be used to help encourage sleep, soothe irritability, and relieve symptoms of colic for babies older than three months.
However, it is important to remember that proper dilution and application methods need to be followed when incorporating lemongrass oil into your baby’s routine.
Some of the benefits of chamomile oil for babies are:
- Its gentle aroma can create a relaxing mood for your baby, helping them sleep better and feel more at ease.
- It is helpful in relieving gas and stomach discomfort. A gentle massage onto your baby’s stomach using diluted lemongrass oil can help in providing them comfort.
- It also offers protection against mosquitoes and other insects. Baby Forest’s Mashak Kawach Baby Mosquito Repellant Spray is rich in Lemongrass oil, which helps create a protective layer over your child’s skin.
- It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help in keeping your baby’s environment clean.
Lavender oil has long been revered for its calming and soothing properties, making it an ideal choice for infants. From promoting better sleep and relaxation to potentially providing relief from pain, the soothing aroma of lavender oil can support the health and well-being of your baby.
Some of the benefits of lavender oil for newborns are:
- It helps in relieving colic, a common issue that causes excessive crying in newborns.
- Its soothing scent helps in reducing anxiety in your little one, making it easier for them to relax and feel comfortable.
- Lavender oil is helpful in reducing pain and assists in providing relief from minor discomforts and irritations.
- It helps ease cold, cough, and congestion in children. Baby Forest’s Komal Shwaas Baby Vapour Rub is formulated with natural essential oils, including Lavender, which helps promote better sleep among babies.
- It also acts as a natural barrier to keep mosquitoes at length. Baby Forest’s Mashak Kawach Baby Mosquito Repellant Spray contains the goodness of Lavender oil, which helps create a protective layer over your child’s skin and keep mosquitoes and other insects away.
Mandarin oil is a citrus essential oil derived from mandarin oranges or tangerines. It does not have phototoxic effects like all other citrus oils and can be safely applied to your baby’s skin to relieve diaper rash, cold, and other problems. With careful and proper use, mandarin oil can provide added comfort and relaxation for your precious little one.
Some of the benefits of mandarin oil for newborns are:
- It can help soothe your baby’s nerves, making it especially helpful during times of stress and discomfort. A gentle massage with diluted mandarin oil can help calm your baby, encouraging better sleep and reducing irritability.
- Mandarin oil has digestive properties that can relieve your newborn’s developing digestive system. Gently massaging your baby’s abdomen with diluted mandarin oil can help relieve symptoms of colic, gas, and indigestion, allowing your little one to feel more comfortable.
- The oil can help minimize muscle pains or cramps in your baby. Massaging a diluted solution of mandarin oil onto your baby’s muscles can help prevent spasms and promote overall muscle relaxation.
- It also has antiseptic properties that can help in maintaining your baby’s hygiene and preventing infections.
Tea Tree Oil
Extracted from the leaves of the Melaleuca Alternifolia plant, tea tree oil is among the few essential oils that are safe to use for babies. When used safely and correctly, it offers natural benefits for treating health conditions in infants and kids.
Some of the benefits of tea tree oil for newborns are:
- It helps alleviate symptoms of cold and cough along with easing congestion and soothing respiratory issues.
- In addition to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, tea tree oil can also be applied to treat minor cuts and insect bites.
- The oil can reduce or neutralize scars that may occur from chickenpox, eruption, or boils.
- It has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory qualities that help soothe irritated skin, making it an effective solution for common diaper rash issues.
- You can also use Tea Tree oil to eliminate common eye infections in newborns, such as conjunctivitis. However, it’s important to consult with a doctor or healthcare professional before using tea tree oil for this purpose, as improper use may cause harm or irritation to your baby’s sensitive eyes.
Rosemary oil is another popular essential oil known for its various health benefits. When used safely and with proper dilution, it can offer some potential advantages for newborns as well.
Some of the benefits of rosemary oil for newborns are:
- It supports brain functions, and its gentle aroma helps in creating a calming and soothing environment for infants. This aids in improving sleep quality, reducing anxiety, and promoting overall well-being for your baby.
- It is beneficial for hair growth. Using a diluted version of the essential oil in baby-safe products could contribute to the overall health of their scalp and hair.
- It also improves blood circulation and soothes the skin. Baby Forest’s Maasoom Maalish Baby Body Massage Oil, enriched with Rosemary oil, helps increase your baby’s blood circulation, promotes healthy sleep, and soothes the baby’s skin.
The End Note
Using a dropper bottle to measure the essential oil for diluting with other carrier oils can help keep the concentration under control. Performing a patch test on a small area of your baby's skin is suggested to check for irritation or adverse reactions.
After applying any essential oil to your baby’s skin, remember to monitor them closely and discontinue use if you notice any adverse reactions.
To conclude, essential oils can be a useful addition in promoting relaxation and comfort for your baby. Consulting with a healthcare professional, such as a pediatrician or a certified aroma therapist, and using baby-friendly oils in the correct manner can help ensure a safe and soothing experience for your little one.